Whether your trip is across town or just in the packers and movers Bangalore, moving heavy furniture chairs, bed frames, sofas, dressers, and desks can be daunting, but it is much easier using the right tools and using the right techniques.
Union Packers and Movers in Bangalore works with experienced professionals every day, and we’re happy to share their pro tips and advice for moving your DIY furniture. Get some helpful tips for carrying heavy furniture below and safely move your large items from chairs to heavy furniture.
Tips for carrying heavy furniture.
1. Measure Your Furniture and Doors:
Take some time to think through the process thoroughly before you point a finger. Get the dimensions of each piece of furniture you need to move and make sure they will fit through the door you use. If you skip this step, you may waste time and if you struggle to push or fit an item through a very small opening, it could result in damage to the item, as well as You can injure yourself or your running mate.
2. Get the Right Equipment:
Professional movers use many gadgets to perform their tasks smoothly and easily. So, in order to move your DIY furniture, you need to buy or rent the right equipment. If you are going to use the equipment only once, it is always good to buy those items on rent.
Here’s what you’ll need to move heavy furniture on your own:
- Furniture straps
- Furniture slider
- Packing paper for walking
Furniture straps, also known as “lifting straps,” are a handy device that serves to transfer some of the weight off your arms and relieve your backpressure when you’re lifting heavy items. They also prevent potential injuries and help you move heavy objects. These straps are adjustable, so make sure you adjust them according to the size of the furniture you are lifting and the size of your body.
Furniture sliders are indispensable and a must-have for you to move heavy furniture on your own, as they protect your floors and carpets while moving the furniture. They are placed under each leg or corner of the piece of furniture you are moving.
Dollys are handheld trucks that come with two or four wheels. Secure items to the doll with rope or extra straps before you use them.
3. Separate Large Household Items:
Small things are easy to pick up. You may know how to pack fragile items and this isn’t a problem for you, but furniture requires a different approach, and that is to disassemble if an item is separated into smaller pieces. If you can, then do so. Also, make sure the screws, nuts, and bolts are saved separately as these screws and bolts can be difficult to replace.
- If you are hiring a professional mover, they will take care of this service for you, but when doing it yourself, keep in mind how long it will take to disassemble and reassemble the piece.
- Things like dresser mirrors, which are fragile and can be damaged during a move, should always be removed before walking.
- Dining tables, sofas and large desks may have separate legs, which will make navigating the door easier.
- Remove the drawers from the dresser to lighten the load.
5. Use Proven Lifting Techniques:
This is an important part of DIY moving, as improper lifting can put pressure on your body and cause injury, but doing everything properly will still keep you and your furniture safe. Here’s the right way to tackle heavy lifting.
- When lifting heavy objects, lift the weight on your legs and hips and not on the waist.
- Maintain your balance by keeping the object close to your body.
- Keep calm and try not to bow down.
- Push rather than pull on an object, as pushing is much easier on your body than pulling.
6. Think ahead – plan the unloading as well:
If you haven’t opted for professional moving services, you should also plan to unload, so you can save yourself the hassle of having to remove heavy furniture from the truck.
- Plan thoroughly, knowing that heavy items usually go into the back of the truck.
- Keep everything in order.
- Keep track of what you have.
- Be careful when unloading your heavy furniture.